Mask Network Plugin “File Service”
Last Updated on Dec 18, 2020
This service is built over Arweave blockchain solutions.
- This service: The service “Mask File Service” hereby being described.
- We: The maintainer of this service, i.e. Dimension.im.
- You: The end user hereby using this service.
This document includes the terms of using the Mask Network Plugin “File Service” (com.maskbook.fileservice). Mask Network itself and other plugins are not covered here.
- You should be the appropriate copyright owner or an authorized person/organization when uploader a file.
- When uploading, you implicitly permit Dimension.im and Arweave (Minimum Spanning Technologies Limited) and any node in the Arweave network (according to the definition provided by the Arweave technology) to serve verbatim copies of file over Internet, to the extent necessary for allowing you to share the file.
- Once you have uploaded a file, it may be impossible to delete it, because the storage is built over blockchain technologies.
- If you request to remove a file, such removal request may or may not be fulfilled.
- You are solely responsible for not violating the law when using this service. This service does not assume any liability for any event, e.g. loss of data & damage of business interest.
- This service is a combination of multiple independent sub-services. The providers of these sub-services (including and without limitation to Dimension and Arweave) may comply with court orders and search warrants from law enforcement authorities.
This Plugin encrypts the selected file with an AES-256-GCM Key (FileKey) to get Encrypted File (EF) and publishes EF on the Arweave network. Arweave provides a file storage service and an HTTPS interface to retrieve stored files. Also, this Plugin generates a Landing Page (LP) which contains the HMAC-SHA256 hash (HH) of the FileKey (for verification), and publishes it on Arweave. The Plugin writes FileKey and the URL of the LP into the Post, so that everyone who can decrypt the post can visit the Landing Page.
When clicking “Download File” in the Snippet under the Post, Mask Network will open the Landing Page. The Landing Page requests all active tabs in the browser to present the FileKey. Mask Network will receive this request and will provide the FileKey.
The Landing Page gets the FileKey and tries verifying the given FileKey with HH. If it is correct, the Landing Page will download the EF from Arweave and will decrypt it. The visitor can then preview it and save it to the local machine.
- Due to technical limitations, the upload progress cannot be very accurate.
- The definition of file size units (MB, KB, etc) can be platform-specific. Some systems use 1000-based definitions, while others use 1024-based definitions. You may see different sizes for the same file.
- This service does not manage any data beyond the range specified in this document. Mask Network the software might manage other necessary data, and is beyond the control of this Plugin and/or this Service.
We may update these terms without explicit notifications. You should frequently check if there is any update, especially after updating Mask Network versions.
If you have any question about this policy, please contact [email protected].